We all know that Santa Claus has a difficult job, especially this time of the year. We expect Santa to do the impossible, giving people (children) exactly what they want. Ho, Ho. Ho….Everyone loves Santa.
However, what we don’t realize is that Santa is actually running a business. There are workers (elves) to hire and lead, letters to read, orders to fill, processes to manage, stuff to buy, toys to make, standards to maintain, new technologies to adopt, skills to develop, problems to solve and a to do list to manage on time.
You are probably wondering how Santa manages to bring everyone and everything together to complete the mission each year. I thought it would be fun to share a book called “The Leadership Secrets of Santa Claus”, from the Walk The Talk Company, to all of you to learn Santa’s secrets as we enter the Holiday spirit this time of year. In the next couple of “weeks I will be sharing some of Santa’s Leadership Secrets in our “Magic Minute” Newsletter. Take notes and I hope you enjoy it.
LESSON ONE: Build a Wonderful Workshop – What Does Your North Pole Operation Look Like?
- Make sure everyone knows your mission.
- Spend time with individual employees discussing how their specific jobs contribute to the mission.
- Talk about your mission to remind your staff every day or at staff meetings.
- Make sure your decisions made for your business or organizations are a core component to support your mission.
Focus On Your People As Well As Your Purpose and Mission.
- Be accessible to employees.
- Be considerate of staff member needs.
- Provide employees with training and resources required for success.
- Listen to your staff.
- Help people develop and grow.
- Fairly distribute the workload.
LESSON TWO: Choose Your Reindeer Wisely
- Hire tough so you can manage easy.
- Staffing has to be the single most important responsibility.
- Put them in the right roles.
LESSON THREE: Make a List and Check It Twice
- Plan your days wisely with goal setting
- Work you plan and make adjustments if necessary
- Make the most of what you have: Time, Money, Materials and Equipment, Employee Talent and Expertise
Your people depend on you just like we all depend on Santa to come through each and every year. Begin running your business or organization more like Santa. I promise you; it will be a magical time of the year! Stay tuned for your next “Magic Minute” for more of Santa’s Leadership Secrets! Need more help? Contact John Today!
John Formica is America’s Customer Experience Coach, team culture expert, keynote speaker, and Top 10 Global Thought Leader and Influencer on Customer Loyalty. For information on customer experience programs, leadership training, team culture, business growth, how to find and hire great people and tailored training programs just for you or to book John, contact 704-965-4090 or visit our website at JohnFormica.com.